On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Christopher Fisk wrote:

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, mark.dodge wrote:

 Come on there are a lot of network guys here, can anyone give me any
 suggestions? I really need to get this resolved. Someone just tell me the
 way they would set it up and I can start there. I'm thinking that
 eliminating the router and configuring one of the NICs for NAT and the
 other
 for the terminal services, is that correct?

What are you trying to use for VPN? Windows 2003 RAS? I've never really worked with the RAS settings in Windows, so I can't say one way or another if that is a good idea.

Your best solution (IMO) is to do the following:

Setup a small linux box (anything better than a P1 with 64MB memory will work) and install ssh on it. Setup a few user accounts for people who will connect remotely.

Forward the ssh port from the router to that linux box.

Setup Putty with port forwarding for remote desktop.

There you go, you're in.  No more worrying about windows VPN.

Hell, you can test all this with a Gentoo LiveCD.

Another valid (But untested by me) method would be to use the sshwindows package of openssh.

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/

Install that on a windows machine that is always on (maybe even the server?) and setup the ssh forward to go there. Login with Putty, forward local port 3390 to the IP of the windows server, use remote desktop and connect from the client to localhost:3390 once you're connected with putty.

Can even setup a batch file to call plink and remote desktop

Christopher Fisk

--
You know you're using the computer too much when:
Reading a text document on paper and getting angry when you realized it doesn't

believed to be clean.