If it is not the original CPU that was on the board maybe the board's
jumpers or BIOS needs to be addressed to the CPU's speed and multiplier...

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Bobby Heid
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 14:04
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] New/old build problems.

Hey,

I was telling a coworker about my daughters old pc's slow death.  He told me
he had an old m/b and CPU lying around and would give it to me.

So he gives me the following:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B

450W P/S

2-256MB PC2700 RAM

AMD CPU (can't remember which one and it is already in the machine with a
heat sink on it)

I have put into a new case with an older AGP graphics card.  I hooked it up
and powered it up and nothing.  Well, the fans and drives power up.  The AGP
card light stays off (apparently it is read if there's an issue with the
graphics card.  I swapped the graphics card out with 2 other older cards I
had laying around.  I took out the CPU and reseated it.  I reseated the RAM
a couple of times.

Once in a while, I get one single (fairly short) post code.  Most of the
time, I get no beeps.

Any ideas what might I might do next?  My guess is that it may be the CPU
that's toasted.

Thanks,

Bobby