Verizon Branded Router.: Actiontec gt704wg
Verizon puts custom settings in these including their own username/password
combo that is different from Retail units of the same model.

I was at a friends house yesterday and she was fighting with her Wireless
since Friday. Something mysterious happened and wireless was gone.
Full story is not important, or IMHO resolved.
(I have a sneaking suspicion it is a Laptop internal hardware problem.)

I'll limit this INSTEAD to something I saw the Verizon tec do.
I did not think to ask him about it when I saw it, but remarked to him
about it. (I was too surprised.) Then I left, and I can't send the friend
in there, and it is miles from here. (Bummer.)

Has anyone ever seen the following happen?

We got on a remote control session with Verizon. (Cat5 worked.)
We KNOW for a fact the Username for the gt704wg was changed,
AND the default password remained the same (as:  password)...

I did not see him change the username in any way, but all or the sudden
he logged back into the gt704wg using the default username/password
combination. Did he do a silent reset to default configuration, or
is that combination retained as a "backdoor" or something for their tecs?

It never occurred to me (unfortunately) to check if the old
custom log-on username still worked. (bummer).
And no one logged in after that.

Hope the question was clear.
I've always been denied access with the default *credentials<?>*
after changing them on every other unit I've worked on.

I think I know what happened, and can't easily check.
Is it obvious he reset the gt704wg, or am I missing something?
(I was like a deer in the headlights.)
Sorry.  TIA

Rick Glazier