That Security Now episode I linked to has an entire transcript - might be
worth just keyword searching for the relevant section, as it was only a few
minutes worth of an hour-plus show answering many different questions.

For many years it used to be that all the routers used 192 by default.  I
didn't see one use 10. until I bought an Apple router a few years ago.

The subnet mask allows you to specify how much of the range is available for
your computer.  So if you don't expect to need more than 255 unique
addresses on your LAN, you tell your computers to use 255.255.255.0 for the
subnet mask, meaning that they should keep the first 3 octets fixed and only
vary the last one.  So applying that subnet mask to 192.168.0.x, that means
you will get addresses from 192.168.0.1 all the way to 192.168.0.255.  This
has the effect of speeding up network traffic.

If you were running a much bigger LAN and needed thousands of IP addresses,
then you would probbaly use a subnet like 255.255.0.0 which means the
network will have 256 x 256 = 65,536 unique addresses.

More info:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/a/subnetmask.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork

Brian Weeden