POTS is Cat3, generally only stranded from wall jack to handset, jack to demarc is solid core. Cat3 *was* also used for 10BaseT before Cat5 became prevalent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_3_cable

These days POTS or nBaseT network, best bet when wiring is to just use Cat5E or better since it gives most usage flexibility for the buck/effort. When we're ready to wire the second floor I intend to run ~3 Cat5E drops to each of 4 rooms from the utility closet's switch(es) to be sure I can do separate pipes for IPTV, VoIP, IP cams, & data to avoid congestion issues. That's a year away so plans might change!

DSinc wrote:
<snip>
I have been told that telephone wire is relatively large in gauge because it needs to pass large a...@45v to do ring/dial-tone. Actual signal/voice business travels along the surface of whatever conductor is present.
Best,