Taking ownership is easy; my concern would be that other permissions were
overwritten as well. Not all objects should be owned by a user, either.
TrustedInstaller, for example, is the owner of most system files.

Maybe I've just gotten to where I don't tolerate quirky or odd machines. I
will rebuild a system any time I have any reason to be suspect of it--and
that includes any time it's infected with a piece of malware.

Greg