You can use taps with DA same as splitter, key point is taps split passing 0db insertion loss to the next split down the segment (which has it's own loss) where splitters evenly apply loss to each of N legs. Return loss I have not looked into as we have our modem on 1st tap and no digital cable.

Since the point of the exercise is achieve near 0db at each TV without having to distort the signal by over-amplifying taps have advantages if all you're connection points are along a single segment & spaced apart. Taps are how modems are installed generally since they're 1st in line & thus can be highly attenuated.

Bottom line is there's a reason why cable co's 1. locate modem on it's own feed, or 2. locate modem on a tap right after the demarc. The further into your system you move the modem, the more trouble you will have. If you buy a DA (and buy you will as old 900mhz stuff won't work) make sure it's designed to allow return signals for digital devices like modems & catv boxes.

Steve Tomporowski wrote:
Just got back from Colorado Springs. It just seems wrong that it takes a whole day each way to travel there!

Are you talking about the taps off a dist amp? Or is this a device I haven't heard of? Because it sounds good.

The problem I'm having most is that there is too much return loss. Well, I've rewired a bit to help the problem, but from what I understand, the modem has internal gain that is remotely selected to overcome return loss, but it has only so much and when it hits the top end, then there can be dropout problems. I've read where they say that gain tends to go up with temperature, but they never say the temperature of what. The modem is in an air-conditioned enviroment and all the cabling in the neighborhood is underground which I believe will limit the effects of temperature.

Steve

maccrawj wrote:
Cable modem should be on 1st *tap*, no later.
Taps should be used instead of splitters, working from highest to lowest attenuation as you run down a cable segment.
If splitting, do it sooner rather than later.
Distribution amps have 0 insertion loss, unlike splitters.

Taps are unbalanced splitters that attenuate one leg but not the other. Advantage? Nearer devices get just what they need leaving more db left over going to devices further down the segment.

Greg Sevart wrote:
If all of your runs come back to one place, I'd chuck all of the splitters
and get a single amp. Not just any amp--the stuff you can usually find
locally typically inserts so much noise that you're better off w/o an amp at
all.

http://www.cabletvamps.com/drop%20amps.htm

Electroline amps are considered to be among the best available. They do have
one model with 0 return loss.

Greg