From: "Jeff Lane" <jeff.l...@comcast.net>

Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:31:23
To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] mask your IP with a changing one

Bill,

You bring up a great point. That is one very important thing that
CovertSurfer does, or I should say does not, do. I talked with the owner,
and as he said, and they publish, they do not know where you are going or
what you do. They do this so they cannot be subpoenaed against their
clients. They keep NO records. I wondered about SwissVPN, as well, because
they use standard browsers, CovertSurfer uses their own plug-in, which could
leave the user open in some way. I originally subscribed to an outfit that
was run by Russians. They had a client forum, which was a good idea, but it
created a lot of problems for them. They were being hacked by ISP's and the
movie/music Gestapo. They weren't furnishing any good answers which was
costing them customers.

Jeff

Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:39 PM

You have to determine whether it is privacy you want, or anomymity. And what
you seem to be seeking is anonymity. Only you can answer: anonymity from
whom? That will ultimately determine your choice.

Tor might certainly fit the bill. It will achieve exactly what you need. And
it's free.

Personally, technically sound as they are, I would not touch SwissVPN. Read
their privacy policy. AFAIK, they will log your traffic. Your IP, indeed
will be masked from your destination. But SwissVPN will probably know who
you are and where you're connecting from. And that means your anonymity is
hosed.  Switzerland may also be a data retention country, but I'm not
certain. Also SwissVPN is a single-hop proxy.

Now if these aren't major concerns then go with them.

As far as I'm concerned, the cream of the crop these days is Xerobank.
http://www. xerobank.com. They are pricey but offer close to the ultimate in
anonymous communications.

Bill