I've been using pfSense for 6 months or so, and absolutely love it. The
rules engine reminds me of more enterprise-class offerings, which coming
from a Cisco/CheckPoint world, I find very appealing. It even supports
stateful failover using CARP.

I can't speak to application-level filtering capabilities, but it has a very
robust rules engine that I know can use a schedule. It uses ALTQ for QoS,
which from my understanding is one of the very best implementations
available. There are a fairly large number of plugins to extend base
functionality.