Thanks, j, this looks like something that will give us a little more functionality.

Steve

maccrawj wrote:
Well I see no StarDock products for OSX but did find something called "SuperDocker" that claims some similar abilities as ObjectDock on the PC.

http://www.ed-shiro.com/soft/mac-os/superdocker/

Steve Tomporowski wrote:
I've just have my first experience with an Apple machine, a brand new Imac. My sister is seriously vision impaired, legally blind but able to do things visually if the situation is right. This means that everything has to be big and black on while. She had a very workable PC system that was seriously aged, so she decided that she'd try an Apple because their so good with accessibility.

In her case....WRONG!
Although with the PC, you have to add a zoom function program, the versatility of being able to change operating systems fonts, colors and contrast blows the Apple away. Mind you, all I know of the Imac right now is what the 'intelligence-impaired' support person said, but here's a blow by blow account.

In both cases, the operating system has to be modified by a sighted person before the handicapped person uses it.

White on Black: This is also a wash since both can change the desktop color scheme to this.

Cursor size: Windows can adjust the size of the cursor, even if it means adding your own. But in general, there is, in the normal build, some big cursors. Apple: "You cannot change the size of the cursor."

Cursor color: With windows you can do this, not with Apple. Cursor color changing comes in handy because with a black & white scheme, the cursor can get lost.

Fonts: Windows can change system fonts and font sizes. Apple,as we were told, you can't. With Apple, if the smallest resolution doesn't work for you, well.....

Zoom: This was a must for my sister and it was nice that Apple had it included without having to add a program. What is missing is the ability to have it enter zoom on boot-up. Cntrl-cursor ball is a little awkward. The tiny cursor ball on the mouse does work, but is not always responsive. Plus, if you push too hard, since the whole mouse is the left-click, you run the risk of activating something while you're zooming. One interesting item we ran into was an interaction between scroll speed and the cursor ball response. When you Zoom, the scroll speed can begin to get too fast. If you slow down scrool speed to min, the zoom via the cursor ball does not work.

Now the mouse itself is very primitive-style, you have basically a bar of soap with a raised dot on it. There are two side buttons of unknown utility. When you 'click', the whole front of the mouse does down, instead of there being an actual button.

Screen-Reader/Voice: Without adding another application, there is a Voice screen-reader. Unlike Zoom, when you activate Voice, it behind immediately, without have to hold a key. Now it may be because I didn't know how to work with it, but the Voice seemed to read when it felt like it and ignore other stuff. I finally had to turn it off as it would start speaking randomly, even without cursor movement or windows opening. And, when it would read, it seemed to have no discrimination as to what was important and what wasn't.

The Dock Menu: At the bottom of the screen, you have a line of application icons. This compliments a menu bar at the top of the screen. Again, either the balloon text or bar text cannot be changed. Neither can the icons. Even when you go to White on Black, the icons remain colored. When zooming, the icons just get more blurry. Given the problem with contrast that a lot of visually impaired users have, the inability to do anything with the icons is a hinderance. If they were just left alone, then the user can judge by counting over how many. However, Apple also uses this bar for various announcements, so the placement and number of icons change with certain situations.

One last bit. When we decided to call Apple support, I wanted to make sure I had the serial number in front of me. When I clicked on the Apple -> About this Mac, one of the boxes threw a line right through the serial number, so that it could not be read. So we had to 'reset' the system. This involved holding the Cntrl - Command - P - R keys as you powered up and holding them for 4 resets. It took two people to do that.

Finally, the support person was not a genius, sorry, she had to keep asking the 'applications person' on how to do things and had trouble understanding how 640x480 gave a narrower font than 640x480(stretch).

Everything Mac looked pretty, but if you're visually impaired, the PC gives you more options.

Steve

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4419 (20090912) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4420 (20090912) __________