What is wrong with Hitachi?  Can't they make a decent hard drive?  I am
completely open to manufacturers and have toshiba, seagate, wd, hitachi and
samsung hard drives.

It seems that the hitachis are the ones with the greatest failure rate.

Lately I noticed my laptop slowing down tremendously. I thought it was because
it was due to it not being formatted for a long time. But I just found out that
the 7200 rpm hdd in it (which is 6 months old) started vibrating a lot and
making gentle click sounds.

Right now I am imaging it to a wd drive. :-(