Workgroups, WINS & NBoTCPIP are a pita. The IP works, so if you setup a DNS server you could connect using machine names without problems.

Steve Tomporowski wrote:
The IP address (have to remember to use \\ or it will open the browser) works fine, nice solid contact. I'll have to try the trick with the master browser. I've heard of that problem on several versions of Windows.

Steve

maccrawj wrote:
By IP address, DNS, or WINS? If IP works then it's likely a master browser election issue like the old days. Disabling the master browser on the XP box would solve that, so would putting up a DNS server and not relying on WINS.

Off the top of my head @ 4AM so YMMV!

Steve Tomporowski wrote:
Okay, here's a good one: How do you network a Win7 machine with a WinXP machine. So far, Win 7 only sees that machine sometimes. Lately, the last couple of boots, it refuses to see that machine. It's only important that the Win7 machine sees the WinXP machine, visa versa doesn't matter.