>From my experience, you do not need any codec packs for Win 7.  And they do
break things - for example, I remember reading somewhere that installing one
of the codec packs (K-lite I think) completely breaks VC-1 playback in
Windows 7, to the point where you need a re-install.

I would suggest that instead of a codec pack you just install the Haali
media splitter and use either VLC or Gom player.  That's all I've ever
needed.

Brian Weeden
Technical Advisor
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundation.org>