I have old ASUS PC DL Deluxe board. It has two on board SATA controllers. An Intel with two SATA ports, and a Promise with two SATA ports. I can only use the second port of the Intel controller because the first port was damaged when the cable pulled the port sheathing off the motherboard and took a couple of pins out. When this happened I removed the remaining pins and insulated the cut ends. Everything has worked fine but I only have three ports. RAID is disabled in the BIOS on both controllers.

I want to use this as a storage box and add a number of hard drives but the BIOS will not let me add another controller and remain stable. I have a old Promise FastTrack 4 port RAID controller and another FastTrack plus 2 port. They both are seen at boot up they seem to work fine but quickly kill off the onboard ports. I eventually have to short out the BIOS to reset it and get things back to normal.

Anybody seen this kind of behavior. Is there anything I can do to make this board stable with another controller? Thanks