Sorry meant fluorescent with a dash of mercury.

DSinc wrote:
Stan,
Thanks for the share. Perhaps I will focus on LEDs. I do not think my living room can support plasma w/o some major renovation ATM.

Your use of "incandescent" is curious. Do you mean old BULB tech? Like old "filiment" stuff like current/old light bulbs?
Best,
Duncan

swzaske wrote:
Most LCD's are incandescent back lit. There are LED backlights that have been coming out the last couple years and they're good but still an incomplete solution. Organic LED's don't require any backlighting because the LED's themselves provide the light and color themselves. If I'm mistaken on any of this please feel free to correct me. I only know what I've read. OLED's are the future, be pollution free and be energy cheap to operate.

DSinc wrote:
Stan,
Please share what you mean by "OLED?"
Since you seem to be a "pockets" sorta person, perhaps you can add to this very confusing matrix. I do so hope this is not another emotional rant generator.

Based on my crude calcs, I am shopping a 58-6x "something" panel. Yes, this means major $$$. So What? I spent $$$ in 1996 also; and, have enjoyed my video/TV thus far...(well, until it went TU!) LOL!

Now, I use a Viewsonic N2635W. Yes, smaller; but, a really nice presentation for OTA TV. And, I am still doing research.
Best,
Duncan

swzaske wrote:
The ? is, how deep are your pockets? Get 240 if it pleases you, I'm still waiting for OLED backlights. :-)

Joshua MacCraw wrote:
HTH can 240hz be "hype"? It's an improvement over 60 and to a lesser level
120 sure, but hype?

So when they stop making 120's, you'll stop buying TV's or are you just saying don't spend ape shit money to get the 240 over the 120 if buying new?

120Hz provided real value. Being a multiple of 24 (as in, standard 24fps
film content), it allows for nice smooth 5:5 pulldown, vs the 3:2 that
must
be performed when displaying at 60Hz. 240Hz, in contrast, is marketing.
Any
240Hz set that looks better than a 120Hz set has nothing to do with the refresh frequency and is simply a result of newer/better backlight,
panel,
and/or electronics, etc.

Also note that not all 120Hz TV sets are capable of 5:5 pulldown.

Greg