Thanks Rick, perhaps I should invest in a copy of Acronis and save your instructions. Have a good one!

Rick Glazier wrote:
This is all done on the "scale" of a home user, at home....
I cloned my Laptop to a different drive last week to stick in Win7
as a direct upgrade from Vista as a test. (Used 64bit, but can't use
ANY on my old printers or scanners... No drivers.)

I've been doing this so long (successfully) I have to think real hard
about what I do that makes it work, or more importantly, what
I did at first that always (mostly) caused it to fail. I think you never
progressed to "that next level"... <grin>...

This is my general rules/overview:
I ALWAYS start by booting from a CD version of Acronis TrueImage.
(I do NOT believe in this "shadow copy" or "delta changes" BS...
AND it is not important if I go "off-line" with the machine for as
long as it takes...)

I ALWAYS do a FULL SPINDLE IMAGE. ALL partitions, the MBR,
track Zero, the partition tables, etc... Acronis makes that very easy.
I re-size the partitions as a different operation later, with Acronis Disk Director10. (The newer versions of ATI will do this as a one-operation multi-step deal,
but why change something that "works for me" at this late date<?>)

IF a Laptop, I write the IMAGE file to a USB HD since I only have
one physical HD in the Laptop at a time.
(HP/Compaq tells me it is normal to "break" the Recovery Partition information
on my HP/Compaq Laptops.) Likely since I do NOT do "bit-for-bit" forensic
images/clones/copies.)

IF a desktop, I may or may not to a direct clone, following all of the above "rules".

When done, I pull the old drive out and put the new one in the exact
"electrical place" of the old one BEFORE THE FIRST BOOT.
I might add it back later as a slave or "data only" drive.

Hope that makes sense and helps...

I do these almost in my sleep. Sorry if it is still not clear...

Rick Glazier

From: "swzaske"
I have to be honest with myself. I have some blind spots.

Rick said:
By doing it the "hard way" I don't make it simpler, but it always works.