Brian,
Did you reformat (erase) these 250GB drives before you put them in storage?

Or, do you mean you can not even get W7 to reformat these drives?
That would be a pisser!

As they were p/o a raid array, W7 may be seeing some special formatting in the initial sectors (by the raid controller) and by-passes the drive because the rest of the "array" is missing.
Only thing I can think of.

Recall talk before about different raid controllers doing different stuff to drives and making them hard to move/re-use to/on other raid controllers.
Best,
Duncan

Brian Weeden wrote:
I've got several 250 GB Seagate drives that used to be in my HTPC RAID.
They've been replaced by 1 TB drives so now I'm looking to use them
elsewhere.

I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit which I just purchased on
one of those drives.  The drive detects perfectly fine in BIOS, has no
problems, but the Win 7 setup will not find it or show it as an option to
install to.  If I put another drive on that same exact connector/cable, it
detects it.

Is there something that the RAID adapter/software could have changed on the
drive to cause this?  When I migrated to the new RAID, I copied all the data
from the old RAID to the new one which was running on a new controller.  I
then just disconnected all the old 250 GB drives and put them in storage.

Brian Weeden
Technical Advisor
Secure World Foundation <http://www.secureworldfoundation.org>
+1 (514) 466-2756 Canada