Yes,

GPU's run hotter than CPU's.  My Radeon's run around 80C all the time
with auto fan mode.

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Winterlight
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 2:47 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] GPU cooling

I own two ASUS 4970 video cards that I bought a little over a year
ago to drive three large monitors. The purchase turned out to be a
big mistake. The fans are of a poor design. One of the cards fans
died in six months. Asus RMA took four weeks, got the card back, the
fan died the next day. Back to RMA for another three weeks, the card
died in one week. Then ASUS told me that they would RMA it a third
time but that is it.... not that I cared as I wasn't going to jump
through their hoop again.

I looked for a third party solution and while they were available
they were all for overclockers and huge. I ended up getting a Arctic
Cooling passive heat sink, that was large and it works. I got it in
the case ... just barely.

Now the second 4970 fan went out. I will never get another giant heat
sink installed so I am thinking of taking one of my extra 60mm CPU
fan that I bought for my overclocked XEON 3.06 CPU and putting it on
the video cards heat sink... would that work?  I am not overclocking
the card and it is in a well ventilated large case. Does the GPU run
a lot hotter then a CPU?

thanks