On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Robert Martin Jr. wrote:

I believe Chris was expressing his surprise that a server that potentially contains huge amounts of personal data (hospital) would be given out without the hospital IT staff wiping the drives themselves first. "Sure you can have it if you promise to wipe the drives", won't help if any of the data got into the wild :0

I work in the medical field and something like this in our company would get fools fired

Depends on the relationship between the hospital and the person who got the server. I've done this myself with hardware but the relationship is that essentially I am their IT dept. including all the required NDA's and HIPAA requirements. I have a badge for the location as well.

If they have hardware they want to get rid of they give it to me and I wipe the drives then do what I want with them.

Giving it to $random_computer_expert is certainly an issue, but if there is a company a hospital relies on for it's IT says they will wipe the drives I can't see an issue with it.

Christopher Fisk
--
<Ramereth> SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 1 INCH POSSIBLE ... wee, finally get some snow
<bazik> ENLARGE YOUR SNOW! GAIN UP TO 3 INCHES!

believed to be clean.