http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/blog-post/1594564/armageddon-ps3-consoles

AFTER TWO DAYS of PS3 fanbois crying over broken units it looks like the cause of the network glitch has been found, thanks to PS3 users on the #Efnet IRC network and not Sony.

Eurogamer reported yesterday that the fault, which denied PS3 users access to the Playstation Network (PSN) and corrupted trophy settings, was down to an ARM Syscon processor. The only job the processor had to do was work our how to process a leap year and it failed spectacularly. Apparently the same chip was responsible for dazed and confused hardware failures in Zune players and limited numbers of Blackberry devices were also afflicted.