At 05:03 PM 3/4/2010, Christopher Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Thane Sherrington wrote:

At 04:29 PM 3/4/2010, Thane Sherrington wrote:
I have a little batch file that uses %username% to do some stuff. That works fine in Windows XP and Vista, but in 7, it becomes username-PC$ - so if the username is Fred, %username% is Fred in XP and Fred-PC$ in 7. Of course, that breaks the batch file. Am I doing something wrong or did MS really change this?

Interesting. Just checked on another 7 machine (this one 7 Ultimate instead of 7 Home Premium) and it shows the variable normally. Now I'm really confused.

Has the username been changed? Try creating a new user and testing that and changing the name of a user that is working properly.

The username hadn't been changed (it was the one from the Windows install) but when I created a new username, it worked fine. I then deleted the first username and recreated it and it worked fine too. Ahh, Microsoft - life would be so boring without your little tricks. :)