On Apr 16, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Christopher Fisk wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Anthony Q. Martin wrote:
>
>> Most DVRs have tuners built in...either a cable card or these new things (I
>> can't recall their name)...but they only let is the channel you're watching
>> so bandwidth is saved....a DVR is always tuned to some channel, so it will
>> be watching...but they had better let in at least two channels or it will be
>> an effective downgrade for people with dual tuners.
>
> The cable company DVR's support this, but not ones you purchase or make
> yourself.
>
> You'll need a Tuning Adaptor, and you'll need to have it work with whatever
> DVR you use.
>
> In my case they have a Tuning Adaptor (No charge at all) that was provided to
> get my Tivo to work.
>
> I don't know if it would work with a MythTV setup or similar.

Devices have had this ability for years. My ReplayTV (early competitor to Tivo,
probably got it around 1998-1999 and it still works! SDTV only, but it
automatically skips commercials!) has an Infrared controller--a wire which
plugins into the ReplayTV and then you tape one end over the front of the
DVR...then pick the type of the DVR and it (hopefully) knows how to change the
channel. Slingplayer has the exact same thing.

Scott