D. Won't be unsupported by it's manufacturer tomorrow.

Personally I loved my circa 2000 Advanced Gravis Aftershock controllers but they never got the drivers right and were devoured by another megacorp uninterested in further development nor open sourcing the existing code. I see the same potential in the design of Sony Ps3 Sixaxis but PC drivers supporting bluetooth are hackers delight currently and not real reliable AFAIK. Real "joysticks" I've not used in years!

So who's who and who's worth buying? Good question! I'd say Logitech if I didn't hate the company & it's support so much. Maybe Saitek?

Those games have worked under DOSBOX for years AFAIK. Have occasionally taken Crusader: No Regret or No Remorse (one I have, the other's disks lost in moves over the years) for a spin under DOSBOX, cool for sure. X-Wing vs Tie just was not as cool all these years later. Have several major terrestrial combat flight sims (Jane's, Falcon, etc...) I just never find the time to try to get working.