On Tue, 27 Apr 2010, Brian Weeden wrote:

Right, but those addresses still only work on RoadRunner's private network, not the public Internet.

Road Runner's "private" network is a part of my public internet. It goes over the same wires.

At some point your private address need to get translated to a public one, unless the only destinations you communicate with are within the private network.

And I for one really dislike it when ISPs issue private addreses. That removes a huge security benefit that otherwise would be provided by your NAT router.

Do they automatically block dangerous things like file and printer sharing within their private network? Or are users up to their own devices on that?

I have a public IP address. it is right along side the private IP address road runner uses to manage my cable card and my cable modem.

I can't access the private network because I don't have the IP information and my cable modem is setup to not allow it past.

Road Runner using 10.x for managing customer devices effectively across the internet (since their copper/fiber is a part of the internet from my POV) doesn't cause any issues because they have proper routing and logical separation. I can't access their 10.x network because their routers don't route the public IP addresses to them.

It's all on the same wire though.  I have to be explaining this poorly.

The short of it is: As long as the 1918 space isn't routed outside of Road Runner's network they can use as much of the space as they want and run it into your house, etc without any issues.

Christopher Fisk