Ok...then this makes perfect sense. I guess I got confused as before I had 1 Gbps adapters on the PCs, but a router with a 10/100 Mbps switch. Everything was bottlenecked to the router's speed. But now the router is jacked!

So, it is better to let the 2.4 G wireless channel be throttled at 300 Mbps or keep it at 54 Mbps (the 5 G is set at 300 Mbps)?

They are now making these 11n usb adapters which claim to bring 300 Mbps to devices that don't have it built in. Well, I don't think that applies to Tivos / Blu rays, but it does to older laptops, I think.

I'm just wondering if it is worth the effort to move everything possible to 300 Mbps (on both 2.4 and 5 GHz) so to avoid having older stuff drag down the entire wireless. I could get a wireless N bridge for the AV stuff and a usb N adapter for the older laptop.

I don't guess there are 11n repeaters around, right? I have a lot of stuff between my router and my AV system. They are at opposite ends of the house with several walls and a floor between them.