Depends on the player. Thane said he uses VLC. My understanding is that the
current version of VLC has no support for any form of GPU offloading. The
upcoming, unreleased 1.1 player version will offload SOME work to the GPU
via DXVA 2.0. Vista or better is required, and it doesn't offload as much
work as other players.

So, upgrading the video card won't do any good unless you also change
players.