At 09:42 AM 9/17/2010, you wrote:
1st, this is for home use. But I frequently work on "work" stuff at home, so I do consider a lot of my "data" to be critical to me...but I have a lot of it spread between multiple computers (work and home).

If you aren't talking about TBs of stored streaming video, or services you need to run from a server, and your primary concern is data access, and security, then it is going to be hard to beat Dropbox. It is a online service where you install an app, it creates a folder in my documents or where ever you want to put it called Dropbox and then it continually syncs that folder with all your other computers that have your Dropbox account installed, as well as providing a secure website where you can log in and retrieve your data. So your data is on any computers with internet access where you have installed dropbox as well as being in the cloud. It is seamless, install and forget. It doesn't get in the way, doesn't have any issues, it is the best, most useful app I have seen in a decade. I have been using it for over a year now and not a single issue or complaint.

There is all sorts of cool things you can do with it. Put a Truecypt drive in your dropbox if your worried about security. There is a public folder you can make available to others. You can create a folder that you share with other specified peoples dropbox... this is how I transfer data back and forth with my partner, and my sisters, each in a private folder. Perfect for people who don't understand what a upload is. It can install on a Iphone, a droid, a blackberry.

You get two GBs free and 100GB costs only 100 bucks a year. If you aren't streaming multimedia, or running other services, then it isn't worth the cost and hassle of a server, and of course if your house burns down you loose your server but not your Dropbox. Your data is always safe and available.

Here is a referral link that will get us both an extra 250megs free, ,give the free one a try and I think you will be impressed.

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE0NDEwOTE5

So, what would I like to do?

1) store all of my stuff in one place....so I would need RAID and/or backup.
2) be able to stream music to any PC in the house, including phones and slate computers (future) 3) be able to download stuff from/to my TIVO to/from it. (the TIVO files do get big and I really don't need to back those up); but I want my TIVOs to "see" this server.
4) sync folders between laptop and server (via wireless network)

Ultimately, it would be nice to just store all my stuff on it and have it protected and backed up. Then get to it all from over network connection from any PC.

I don't need to stream movies. Though neat to do, I can get by without that.

Thanks.