Thanks "Lubomír Cabla" for those links.

I used to have personal notes somewhere that I had a drive
as low as 500G that required a firmware update.
That seems to be confirmed in the links below.
I flashed all mine proactively BEFORE they might have become bricks.
Seagate has a link buried on their site where you input your serial number
(or run a program, etc) to check.
<<http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931&NewLang=en>>

The newer firmware number (in the Winterlight PDF) seems to be what
I UPGRADED TO IIRC...
Bummer, I thought they fixed this...

I have a couple drives not even installed yet, back to all this digging,
again...

FWIW: I have an external I took out of the plastic case to test manually
(it did not need it) and was doing this "full stream" on 6/12/2009 with the
desktop ones.

Rick Glazier

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lubomír Cabla"
1. ST31000340?AS w/ SD15 has firmware symptoms

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-and/ST31000340AS-w-SD15-has-firmware-symptoms-but-Tech-Support-says/m-p/39556

2. Fixing a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive

These are instructions for fixing a Seagate 7200.11 hard drive that is stuck
in the BSY state.  This can be determined by the fact that it won't be
recognized by the computer's BIOS.

http://sites.google.com/site/seagatefix/

Good luck.