When using pop, I set my home machine to never delete work emails from the
server and my work machine to never delete home emails from the server.  Then,
I set my work machine to delete all work emails from the server after one week.
 Then I set my home machine to delete all home emails from the server in a
similar time.  So, I get synced emails at both locations.

I guess why imap does it lets you see the same set of emails at any location so
you always know what as been sent from your account.  With pop as I use it
above, you don't get that....so sent mail has to be cc'ed to ensure you know
what you sent to someone from any location.