Hey there Brian.

First off good choice on the phone.  In my opinion and after using both
phones I do say that the One is better than the S4.  That said, the Verizon
versions info is sparse at best.  I found info on most other carriers
except verizon.  Anyway, that link you had seems okay.

The basic premise for HTC phones is as follows.

1.  Unlock Bootloader  (do this as soon as you get your phone because if
you unlock the bootloader you basically end up deleting all user data on it
and returning it to factory settings)
2.  Once the bootloader is unlocked you need to flash a custom recovery on
it.  Having a custom recovery will allow you to basically flash any file
into the OS.
3.  I recommend TWRP for the recovery.  I find it the best.
4.  Also download superuser (like supersu or others) from the web and
download it.
5.  Once you flash the recovery and copy the supersu onto the phone;
6.  You would boot into TWRP and flash supersu from there.

That's it your phone is rooted with a custom recovery.  From there you can
do anything you want.

Now regarding stock Android...............I think you will be losing a lot.
 There are a lot of camera optimizations on these devices that you would
lose if you went that route.  I would suggest doing the following.

1.  Put the custom recovery and root the device.
2.  Keep the stock rom
3.  Use a launcher such as APEX or NOVA (I use APEX) and you will then have
a pure vanilla android homescreen experience, but still retain the
optimizations that HTC did for the camera and speakers and other things.

If you insist to have vanilla android on it then if I'm not mistaken then
the Google Edition HTC One ROM does work flawlessly on the HTC One.

There are no major caveats to doing a custom rom.  Make sure that you check
out custom kernels also, they really really really improve the performance
of the phone.

Just for info I'm using a Nexus 4 with Carbon ROM and Matr1x Kernel with
GPU Overclock.  I'm getting similar performance to the S4 with all day
battery life.  What's not to like!!  The new MOTO X looks good to me also,
despite it being called a mid range device, I would have to disagree.
 People are becoming spec whores and in the end there is no benefit to
having all that power when the apps don't need it and the battery life
suffers.  For me, if I was in the US right now, the MOTO X would be near or
on the top of my list.   One more thing, do consider getting a nexus 4,
they are cheap as chips and still a very viable phone and a powerhouse.
 Otherwise wait till November for the Nexus 5.

Oh and one more thing......

XDA Developers website and forums are your best friend.  Repeat after
me....... XDA Developers is awesome!!

LOL!

Good luck and welcome to the world of Android.

--
Best Regards,

Zulfiqar Naushad