Thanks Christopher.  I did try that before I updated the Intel storage
drivers and it did not work.

-----Original Message-----
From: hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
[mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf Of Christopher
Fisk
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 9:01 AM
To: hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
Subject: Re: [H] Ailing HD on laptop

I've encountered this once and what worked for me was:

   1. Click *Start*, point to *All Programs*, and then click *Accessories*.
   2. Right-click *Command Prompt*, and then click *Run as administrator*.
   3. If the *User Account Control *dialog box appears, confirm that the
   action it displays is what you want, and then click *Continue*.
   4. In the command prompt window, type *net stop cryptsvc*, and then
   press ENTER.
   5. Type *ren <%systemroot%>\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old*, and then
   press ENTER.

   By default, *%systemroot%* is located at C:\Windows.
   6. Type *net start cryptsvc*, and then press ENTER.
   7. Type *exit*, and then press ENTER to close the command prompt window.

Run things with administrator rights of course (Turn off UAC if you're
still having problems, you can turn it back on after).  If that doesn't
help it could be further permissions, goto:

services > cryptographic services > properties >logon (identity)
give the identity account (usually 'network service') full permission on
the C: drive.