I have four 27" 2560x1440 monitors, and agree that they're about the best
size/resolution combination available. Even the 30" 2560x1600 monitors are
inferior in one critical way - pixel density and therefore text sharpness.

Two of mine are Microcenter IPS models that are similar to the Monoprice or
eBay South Korean imports, except they have a converter board and multiple
input types. They're nice monitors for sure, but they come with a pretty
cruddy stand and thick bezels that have a lower-end look. The screens are
great - each one has one dead pixel, but at that density, it's honestly
impossible to tell unless you're looking for it. I never notice in normal
use.

The other two are Asus PB278Q displays, which feature Samsung's PLS
technology. PLS and IPS are very similar; to a large degree, PLS is just
Samsung's version of IPS. I find the contrast to be superior to the two IPS
27's I have, plus they have a fully adjustable stand and a thinner bezel
that looks more professional.

If I were buying today on a tight budget, I'd opt for a South Korean PLS
import (they're actually a little cheaper than the IPS, but are of similar
or better quality) off eBay. If I were willing to spend a little more on
something with a better package, better warranty, and some brand
recognition, I'd buy the ViewSonic VP2770-LED. It's based on the same PLS
panel as the Asus units I have, but has a better backlight.

One decision you may need to make is regarding anti-glare. The import models
may be available with or without ("glossy") AG coatings. The PLS AG coatings
are effective, but light enough that they don't cause sparkling on bright
colors. Most of the cheap/import IPS models are glossy, but those that do
have anti-glare use a very aggressive coating that I've grown a great
distaste for (and Dell's 27's prior to the latest model had this bad AG too)
after having used monitors without it. All else being equal, glossy coatings
offer the best image quality, but if you have much light in your room they
may not be a good choice. I believe that the light AG which available with
the PLS imports, the PLS name brands, and some of the latest generation of
name-brand IPS units is the best choice.

Greg