Steve,
I support your feelings about APC and USB. Clearly they are trying, but they just do not have it figured out yet. Or, they can not figure out how to drive usb to do what they wish to sell us. /rant. I leved through the APC 'custom' rs-232 cable connections.
That period just sucked! I almost quit!
APC may eventually get it correct. I am not holding my breath. I am free to run mine in base mode (no PowerChute, no usb, no interaction). They work well in this modeif you just do not care.

I donot fault APC. I do not expect them to stand up and say, "Gee! We really farqued up our user interface. Sorry." Might be nice, but for the money I spend, I am not waiting to see this. I started with 4 refurb units (BP1100), replaced all of them with 5 current models, and, now, I am replacing one and net adding one. I suppose that after 15yrs, I may be stuck on
the APC bandwagon...............Well, until..........................?

It seems the APC does well on 750kva, 1000kva, and 1500kva devices OK. When they try to 'feature-ize' an in between unit, they stumble and fail. Ho-hum. I feel they will get their act together, or, Schneider Electric will just bleed APC dry and leave APC in the dust bin of time. I will stay with APC untilsomeone offers a full-sinisoidal ups for a reasonable price.
Thanks for the reply.
Duncan