I just noticed in the manual for a surge protector.

"Do not install this device if there is not at least 10 meters (30 feet) or more of wire between the electrical outlet and the electrical service panel."

Ignoring the fact that this makes more plugs in people's houses unusable with surge protectors, I was wondering if some can give a layman's explanation of why this would be. I believe it has something to do with the surge protector blowing up or catching fire if it absorbs a massive hit, but I'm vague on the whys and wherefores.