On 2013-11-03 18:44, Winterlight wrote:
Cable TV in my area is provided by COX, and unfortunately they encrypt
every channel except for PBS.  In the last couple of months I have had
inexplicable glitches that resulted in Media Center loosing it's
licences for TV shows that I had previously recorded. When this
happens I can't play TV in Media Center using my Silicon Dust network
Tuner, and all the encrypted TV shows that were recorded are now
inaccessible. I usually have to work through a troubleshooting process
involving the reinstall of Media Center Playready, and success with MC
always results in a loss of any existing licensing. Even when I image
the hard drive, and restore it, the licenses are still gone. This
makes the idea of building a video library with MC impossible.

This is not normally a problem, however, this has happened to be twice
this month, and once it happens any video library I have is now gone.
Is there any way to back up licenses so you can restore them in the
event MC goes bad?

There is a very simple answer to that.  Use MCEBuddy or MCTV-Converter

http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/

And convert anything you want to save to MKV/MP4 BEFORE you change over your media center, and all your files will come along with you. If you do it on the machine they were recorded on, generally it converts everything.