>Can I boot off the Win 8 DVD and install that way or do I need to start
the install from within windows 7?
You need to start the upgrade from within Windows - booting straight
from the disc won't upgrade and your key may not work either (as it's an
upgrade key, not a full install key).

>I guess there is no way I can just install Windows 8.1 direct.. can I?
No, you must install 8 and then do the 8.1 upgrade through the store.
Even if you could, I don't think you'd actually want to, as 8.1 doesn't
upgrade 7, it does a migration. That means that you would have to
reinstall all your apps. Your user account is migrated over so all your
settings and data are kept, but the apps aren't brought over.

Jamie

--
Jamie Furtner ja...@furtner.ca