Greg/Michael/Winterlight,
Thank you so much for your thoughts. Please let me end this thread. I will accept 'update 1' and no service packs. Oddly enough, post building my W8.1(full version) system (64 bit), I
notice that I see the system display that it is "Windows 8.1". OK

But now I'd like to know how, or, what I need to do to elevate to "Windows 8.1 PRO?"

That is what I believed I purchasedback on 02/27/14. My order arrived in the purple box
livery labeled "Windows 8.1/(full version)"
I have 3 more copies of Windows 8.1 PRO purchased 5/9/14.
They came in the blue box livery and are labeled, Windows 8.1 PRO/(full version)."

Greg, I so share your disappointment with M$. For me W8.1 is the scariest OS I've seen and played with since the 1970's. I will keep peeking/poking at it. Perhaps I'll find out how
to enable network connections so I can type in my chosen DNS servers.
Thanks,
Duncan