Ditto!!!!!

On 05/16/2014 16:50, Bryan Seitz wrote:
SSD.

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:54:39AM -0700, Winterlight wrote:
I am running a six core Ivy bridge on a ASUS P9X79-WS with 48 GB of
RAM but I came from a Dual core Quad X9650 not a i7 quad and there is
a big difference. A very big difference.

The answer to your questions are ... it depends.

   First, for
<multiple applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Browser, and do
some videoe-coding. >
no matter what you do your PC is going to spend it's time idling and
barely using it's capability...just like now.
Buying top end for this use is like getting a racing Cobra and using
it to run up to 7/11 for cigs every other week.

That said for gaming get the Haswell, but if you do a lot of
rendering or encoding then nothing is as fast as six cores.
If you run a six core you are stuck with a Ivy Bridge Chipset ... for
the time being. And that means an older chipset. My board has  four
USB3 ports but USB3 is not native to the chip like it is with
Haswell. For what you do any CPU frequency is going to go like a bat
out of hell .. just like your i7 is now.

I use my extra ram for a 24KGB RAM Disk to do large file HD Video
editing, but outside of that use,or running lots of Virtual Machines
you will notice no performance  difference above 16GB of RAM. And
don't waste your money buying really fast RAM because you will never
notice it.

Intel CPUs and chipset are as reliable as they come. Motherboards at
the high end.. I paid near $400 for my Asus...are always going to be
well built workstation boards just stay with the usual high end
manufactures and it is difficult to make a mistake.

It sounds like you want to build yourself a bad ass muscle PC just
because... and that's OK because this is what the Hardware Group was
created... for the enthusiast. But when you start talking about a
performance improvement over your I7 for  browsing the internet, and
using word, and outlook , or value for dollar, ... this just doesn't
make a lot of sense.