I didn't answer this because I'm torn.  I game a lot, but I don't bother
with highest of the high end anymore.  The 3+ year old rig that used
generation+ old hardware at the time is still working just fine for me.

Pretty much if you go with anything within the last 3 generations you'll be
gaming happily into the 4+ year range.

So... go with a recent i5, 16GB memory, a 250GB SSD, a couple of 1 or 2 TB
HDD's to run in raid 1 for your data and you'll be fine.

Back in the 90's when I joined I never thought I'd say that, but man, what
15+ years does at Moore's Law Speeds.