Hi everyone, my name is Bruce Sinclair and I am joining this august group of technical experts to try to gain knowledge about Microsoft's newest operating system. Windows 8.1.

Some of you may know me as the older brother of a long time member of this list, Duncan.When I would ask him technical questions about the mysteries of Microsoft's operating systems, he would sometimes post my questions to you all.You all have been very helpful.Duncan finally convinced me to join this group and post my questions directly.I am an experienced user of personal computers since I bought my first PC, a beige IBM PC with 256K of memory in 1983. I was a real power user from the start….LOLI now use a new Lenovo M83 mini desktop with Win 8.1 64K Pro operating system.I also own a HP laptop still with Win XP, and tucked away in a storage box, a vintage IBM 755 laptop that I am keeping for no apparent good reason.Duncan has suggested I use it as a doorstop.

The transition from the Win XP operating system to Win 8.1 64K Pro has been daunting at times.I am now at the stage where I am trying to learn how to control the different features of Win 8.1 and correct some mistakes I have made which I will post about later.In summary, I am a knowledgeable user of Microsoft based PCs but do not expect any technical answers from me now.I am here to learn.

--
 Regards, Bruce

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men [and women]
stand ready in the night to visit violence on those
who would do us harm." -  George Orwell