Yeah the hd38670x2 that's been in their since I built this a few years
ago just won' t post meanwhile the new MSI r9 280 seems to work & be
stable as long as it's secured just right. Need to test old card in
another system to see if salvageable.

Looked at the slot with a microscope cam (FTW Newegg freebie!), all
pins seem uniform & spaced properly so I am stumped on the actual
cause. What it tells me is I want to never build vertical again if
this is what the weight of cards can do over time hanging off a slot.
This along with the brand new Z97-A board with mysteriously bent CPU
socket pins really piss me off because the repairs are seemingly
impossible for a DIY prosumer to fix.