From: Hardware [mailto:hardware-boun...@lists.hardwaregroup.com] On Behalf
Of Bino Gopal
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:15 PM
To: hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] Cloning HDs for new laptops and stuff...?

Hey guys, so been randomly getting a lot of new laptops with say Win10 on
them but with either too small SSDs or HDs.

What's the best way to replace those with bigger/better SSDs or NVMe drives
and get them up and running?

1) Clone the drive before replacing?  Will that always just work?  If so
what's the best software for that-and I don't mind paying if it's quality
stuff that will last...
--A device is probably the best bet. They have USB 3 toasters with two slots
that can do cloning now. Not used one, but I imagine it'd be a lot easier
than using SW.

2)|Or can I just get a new drive and somehow easily extract the Win10
license and then reinstall Windows.  If so what's the best/fastest way to do
that?
--No need to extract, at least as long as you go through OOBE with Internet
access (not 100% sure even this is required, actually...). The hardware ID
is registered with Microsoft, and you can reinstall any number of times onto
the same system. So long as it has internet access, it'll verify your
hardware ID and activate automatically. I don't think a drive replacement
negates that.

Thanks for any help and tip guys and glad to see you're still here! :)

BINO