My office was hit by this exact same kind of attack. It came in through RDP
over a nonstandard port. Started encrypting a multi-terabyte network share
before I physically pulled the plug. Luckily had a backup from 24h before.
Lesson: RDP exposed anywhere on the internet is NEVER safe. All covered
with VPN and IP restrictions now.

Sigh.

Scott