The controlled by administrator message usually means that group policies are
set in my experience, but I’ve not heard of a machine being sold with policies
set.

Can you check the machines registry under HKLM/software/policies? If there are
any folders or keys under it, try using gpedit to clear out all policies. I’m
not sure if manually clearing the folder will work permanently.