Jamie,

Didn't notice your email because Gmail stuck it in spam.  But thanks for the response.  It turns out that I had a device attached to the USB that was causing a long delay in shutdown, probably about 10-15 minutes.  I had just bought one of those USB cassette players to transfer songs to digital.  While it does that great (hint:  it attaches as a USB sound device so you can select it in Audacity), it has some problem with being connected at shutdown.  So I removed it and all is fine.

Steve

On 2/18/2019 11:34 PM, Jamie Furtner wrote:
There shouldn't be a problem with changing your live.com account password.

Have you tried a forced shutdown by the command line? Open a command prompt, type in

   shutdown /s /t 1

and see what happens? If it works, try a normal shut down again and see if that works.

On 2019-02-18 2:24 p.m., Steve Tomporowski wrote:
Well, over the weekend, I found out that the password for my hotmail
account had been pwned, so I changed it on Live.com.  Since that time, Win
10 won't shut down.  Was it a problem that I changed my password to my
linked account that way?  When I click the shutdown button, nothing happens
until I do Cntrl-Alt-Del, then there's a quick flash of an error message
and the spinning dots show up and that's where it sits.  I haven't let it
run that way more than 10 minutes, though.
Any ideas?
Thanks....Steve