Ok, figured it out.  These are what are called MOD disks or 'Media On Demand'.  Amazon is one of those that does this service.  The DVD is recorded with what you want, especially on low demand movies.  So there are legal burnt DVDs.

Steve

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Officially Released 'burned' DVD movies?
Date:   Sun, 6 Dec 2020 20:02:17 -0500
From:   Steve Tomporowski <didym...@gmail.com>
To:     hardw...@lists.hardwaregroup.com

As part of my eBay business, I acquire a lot of DVDs.  I've noticed that some older movies will have an official insert, the label side looks right, but the DVD looks like a recordable.  I don't want to sell anything illegal, but these movies confuse me. It always seems to be movies that could be in the public domain, but the label and insert look professional.  Is it possible that this is legal or just a very professional pirate?

Thanks...Steve