On 14-12-28 09:13 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>     Originally I wanted to change hb_ft_face_create() and
>>     hb_ft_font_create() to reference the face if destroy==NULL was
>>     passed in.  That would improve pretty much all clients, with
>>     little undesired effects.  Except that FreeType itself, when
>>     compiled with HarfBuzz support, calls hb_ft_font_create() with
>>     destroy==NULL and saves the resulting hb-font on the ft-face
>>     (why does it not free it immediately?).
>
> Looks like a buglet in FreeType

Quite possibly it's working as intended.  I just didn't expect it to be that
way.

The point was: if hb_font is only needed during face-wise autohinter setup,
would be better to destroy the font after that.  Currently the font is stored
in AF_FaceGlobals, which means it will be kept open for the duration of the
FT_Face.  Nothing wrong with it though.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/