On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 02:38:00 -0700
Behdad Esfahbod <beh...@behdad.org> wrote:

> Just asking, does anybody still object about using C++ standard
> library (ie. linking to it) in HarfBuzz?

My personal experience makes me tremble at the thought.  When I
'upgraded' from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04, I was without a libstdc++
library, and it took me a long time to clean up the resulting mess.  The
cause of the problem was that the version of C++ compiler I had been
using was too far in advance of the distributions, and as I upgraded it
was removed and I was left with nothing in its place.  The
installation scripts written in Python largely or entirely failed.  The
prospect of being without a text layout engine is terrifying.

C++ was so far out of sync with the general distribution because I used
to compile LibreOffice, and a key header file there wouldn't compile
with the older versions of gcc.

Richard.