On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 08:19 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> >
> > I'll make sure I talk to one of the FSF legal people again to make sure
> > there is progress in these discussions. Some people are setting up a new
> > teleconference between the ASF and FSF to talk about these issues more
> > directly.
>
> The lengthy set of teleconferences we have been having have been
> somewhat... inconclusive.

Agreed. I think we at least know now what the issues (social/legal) are
with the ASL/GPL incompatability are. There were some proposed textual
changes that should make them compatible. It probably is time to call in
the laywers (general counsel) of both sides, put them in the same room
and hammer out a final text.

But for the LGPL list of issues that the Apache hackers had in response
to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-java.html we might need some more
discussion.

> This is still a lot of room for optimism.
>
> Concrete questions to help focus the discussion:
>
>    * Can ClassPath use APR?

We have a reference implementation of some of the
platform/runtime/compiler specific parts of the core library that works
with C, JNI on GNU/Posix like systems (for io, nio, timezones, etc.)
This can be replaced with a version that uses APR if there is a
technical need. Kaffe for example replaces part of this layer with a KNI
implementation. IKVM.NET replaces it with a system that uses the
standard C# libraries as much as possible. And GCJ replaces parts of it
with a C++/CNI implementation. See the links to various documentation
about this VM Interface layer posted earlier. Or look into vm/reference
in a recent GNU Classpath release.

We will most likely not replace the current reference implementation
with one that is based on APR since that is currently licensed under the
ASL and we want GNU Classpath to be GPL-compatible for projects that use
and distribute it under the GPL. But if the ASL could be changed to
become GPL-compatible or APR would dual license under the (L)GPL or use
a GPL-compatible license such as modern BSD, MIT/X, W3C, etc then we
will certainly consider it if there is a technical need.

>    * Can Harmony use ClassPath?

Yes! That is the intention. As explained earlier the FSF wants this to
be the case. If there are any legal issues with the current GPL
exception statement wording then we want to fix that by clarifying the
exception to clearly address any concerns the harmony people have that
might prevent them from embracing and extending GNU Classpath.

Cheers,

Mark

> P.S.  I still believe that we all would be best served if the
> meta-harmony discussions were moved to the harmony mailing lists,
> reporting back as appropriate as we come to conclusions, but sometimes
> it doesn't make sense to argue with a herd of elephants.

Moved this to just the harmony list.

Cheers,

Mark