What I'm suggesting is that you can have other relationships that generate the same confidence - such as an external verifier that signifies that it has done its job by signing the bytecode.

I see. Sounds like it would work. But there's more to security than bytecode verification --- various runtime checks are also required. How much time on the PDA would be saved if the bytecode verification is off-loaded to a trusted desktop machine?

Another similar approach would be for the PDA to verify its own bytecode and then fingerprint it. The second time the same bytecode is loaded, it could be certain it's good.